|Thursday 5/12/11 - tents are getting packed|
Tracy was so nervous she could hardly speak, Richard was busy taking down the tents in the backyard, the cupboards were empty, people were milling frantically, the pasta was gone, and so were the pots, big kitchen utensils or most of them, anyway... I went out to the truck and asked where the pots are: Jimbo pointed his finger indicating the stuff behind him, tightly packed: 'there'... Anyway to retrieve them? 'Nope. Like half an hour of unpacking'. All of this 3 days before move? I kind of lost it: 'don't you guys need to eat for the next 2.5 days? What about today's dinner? I thought we discussed it last Monday!' - I started to yell at Richard. Lynnda stayed cool and said: stop it, we will cook in the two pots left, whatever we can, and we can get pasta at Fred Meyer; it's crazy enough without you adding to it. True dat - thank you, my friend, and so we did.
Jarvis and Nate helped us with chopping, and Richard emerged in time from tent packing to deal with garlic - the pesto pasta turned very good, especially that it was fortified with Lynnda's homegrown basil. A few people stopped to shake our hands and said words like: 'well, if nobody officially thanked you yet, than I am' - I though it weird, only now know why: all the talk about Sunday service before moving was just that: a talk, they knew we might not see each other for a while...
|5/12/11 • Bye, bye pasta and pots. Note Nickelsville's portable container garden in forefront - hope it wasn't forgotten!|
***NICKELSVILLE MOVED TODAY**
Our new location is our First Location. We have come full circle!!!
We are at 2nd Ave SW and W MArginal Way SW
7116 W Marginal Way SW
WHEN PEOPLE CALLED COUNCIL PRESIDENT CONLIN THIS WEEK, HIS AIDES TOLD THEM NICKELSVILLE COULD JUST STAY IN OLD FIREHOUSE #39 FOR A COUPLE MORE MONTHS
BUT WE MOVED ANYWAY!
WHY? LET US COUNT THE REASONS:
1) Nickelsville isn't an indoor shelter for 99 people; it's an eco-village for up to 1,000!
2) Every night at old Firestation #39 we were turning people away - a larger site is needed to save human lives! 8 homeless people have already died outside or by violence this year.
3) Sleeping in the Bay Station for a Fire Truck, with 20 other people, doesn't afford anyone privacy and everyone deserves that - especially families and couples.
4) Last May, 2010 we were advised to give the new Mayor a chance.
Last August the Mayor's Encampment Panel got started and recommended giving us a permanent site. 7 months ago we were told that the Sunny Jim site would be ready in 5 months. Now Council President Conlin says he'll decide what to do by the fall. We think this fall Council President Conlin will say maybe something will be ready next spring.
FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON CONLIN
FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON NICKELSVILLE
WE WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!
5) Nickelsville has pets, couples and kids. They all need privacy and simple sturdy sleeping structures. None of these are possible long term at Firestation #39. That is why we asked Mayor McGinn on February 22, 2011 to let SHARE and WHEEL take over Old Firestation #39 on May 15th, and begin operating it as shelter.
6) We told Richard Conlin about this but he ignored Nickelsville.
SHARE/WHEEL told Richard Conlin about this but he ignored SHARE/WHEEL.
Richard Conlin hasn't written us or anyone about working something out. Richard Conlin hasn't written the Mayor and asked him to keep the Old Firehouse open for Nickelsville or anyone.
7) Richard Conlin's aides will talk the talk about Old Firestation #39 with any tom, dick or harriet, but Richard Conlin hasn't walked the walk to make anything happen.
8) That's why we've got to make something happen for ourselves. Richard Conlin won't do it for us!
The Black Cat Caravan (has arrived!)
by Tex Shirey & The Nickelsville Central Committee
While checking the Internet google maps (click here) for Nickelsville's new location I noticed a blurb in The Stranger's Slog; read it for yourself and don't forget to check the comments - some of our fellow citizens have pretty callous hearts or very weak, prone to propaganda minds; fortunately there are a few sane and sympathetic comments as well - hopefully more will appear as the day goes:
Nickelsville Moves to West Seattle
posted by CIENNA MADRID on FRI, MAY 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Nickelsville has moved to 7116 W. Marginal Way SW, two days before their move deadline, according to a press release sent today by the group. Nickelodeons were invited by the city to stay at their old location—Fire Station 39 in Lake City—for a few more months, however, Nickelsville's press release notes that, "Nickelsville isn't an indoor shelter for 99 people; it's an eco-village for up to 1,000!"
DON'T FORGET TO VISIT NICKELSVILLE'S FACEBOOK PAGE - that's where the whole communication action is!